Re: Radiation Hardness of materials

> Date:          Thu, 5 Dec 96 11:39:38 -0600
> From:          "Scott O. Schwahn" <schwahn@CEBAF.GOV>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Radiation Hardness of materials

> WARNING: this post may, in your mind, not be related to radiation safety.
> However, I think it is, so I will post it.  My question concerns the
> radiation hardness of materials: specifically, CPVC (I don't know what it
> stands for, but it a dark gray plastic, and is a less brittle form of PVC,
> polyvinyl chlorinate).

	CPVC is Chlorinated PolyVinyl Chloride. Its main difference
	from PBC is that it viable for hot-water plumbing, where PBC
	pipe is only good for cold water. (PVC is ok up to 60deg C,
	CPVC up to 82deg C.)

	Radiation tolerance wise, when our shop left, the plastics
	catalogs went with  them, but many plastics suppliers have
	sections listing various plastic properties. I'd opt  for a
	call to a local supplier.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist - Center for Radiation Therapy
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu   ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-3697

"I think medical research would show that being a Cubs fan
lengthens your life. Or maybe it just _seems_ longer."
- Mike Royko