Re: Re[2]: Kr-85

To all,

Almost true...

Actually, in 1979 there was a GREAT DEAL of concern and
discussion of possibly using cryogenic "freeze-out" techniques
to collect the Kr-85 being released from TMI Unit 2.

To summarize a huge amount of work, suffice it to say it was
decided that the concentration of radioactivity into drums
or other containers would be a greater hazard (including set-up
and operation of cryogenic freezers on line with all vents from unit
2) than allowing the release to continue.  Filters were installed in
an amazingly short period of time (about 24 hours) immediately
after the accident to capture any radioiodines.

The EPA/US NRC/State of Pennsylvania/entire world press were
aware of the gas release issue (a not insignificant amount of
xenon was being emitted that was of considerably more interest
regarding immersion doses than krypton) and were briefed every
day (for a long time).

A long ago recollection (1979 era)...

MikeG.

At 05:08 PM 12/5/96 -0600, you wrote:
>        Bob,
>
>          I did not see any concern from cloud submersion during the
>          venting of Three Mile Island when many curies of Kr85 and
>          Xenon-133 were released.  Bill Kirk at the Health
>          Department in Pennsylvania wrote his Ph.D. Thesis on Kr-85
>          and oversaw the venting at TMI as the onsight EPA official.
>          I am sure he would have some invaluable insights concerning
>          Kr85.
>
>          Bill Field
>          University of Iowa
>          bill-field@uiowa.edu