Re[2]: Kr-85

Wasn't there a lot of concern about Kr-85 release at TMI?  I thought it was
held up for many months. Was this the issue that UCS fought and finally lost
its credibility on with the Gov of PA when the trivial doses and their
insignificance finally reached the surface?

There were concerns about Kr-85 from reprocessing when US projections were
around 500 reactors by 2000 and reprocessing was still on (about 1977). [I had
to look it up: in the 1977 ERDA-1554D Reprocessing EIS (the one burned in Oak
Ridge by the Carter administration) the Kr-85 release thru the year 2000 is
1.4 billion Ci with "no additional offgas controls), population dose:  630,000
man-rem.  ( C-14 was higher at 4.5 million man-rem - 68,000 Ci ].

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com