RE: "Major Breakthrough in Haz. Cleanup Proc."

About a month ago, I had someone call me with a similar claim to
"eliminate" all of my rad waste.  Unfortunately, I do not recall the name
of the company he represented.  (Obviously, you can see that his pitch had
quite an impact on me. :-) )  He stated that his company was trying to get
their process licensed in the states after being turned down by DOE.  (Gee,
I wonder why?)  He stated that he just wanted to get a feel from other
types of licensees of their waste generation as to whether they would
pursue licensing with the states.

His claim to me was that they would completely ELIMINATE our radioactive
waste.  I asked him if they were possibly incinerating the waste or doing
volume reduction, but he insisted that nether of these processes were
utilized.  (My next question was which brand of magic wand they were using
to eliminate the physical properties within the nucleus.)  When I pressed
him on the type of technology used to do "eliminate" the waste, he was
elusive.  However, I do recall that he mentioned reducing the material to
it's elemental state.  (Sounds similar to your posting.)

It was quite an amusing telephone call during which I wound up educating
him on such technical subjects as the difference between an Agreement and
Non-Agreement State and current LLRW disposal site status.  However, I had
to tell him that I wasn't interested in that (1) nearly all of our medical
use waste is decayed in storage on site at little cost other that the
salary for someone to survey the waste after decay, (2) unless he is
licensed by the NRC or Agreement State to accept the waste, I couldn't
legally ship it to him anyway, and (3) I didn't really believe that they
could do what they said they could do.

Jeff Brunette
glow-worm@worldnet.att.net