Editor's Reply to Plasma Technology Story

Radsafer's - I found the plasma technology story posted yesterday
to be ridiculous enough to send a letter to the editor of
Environment News Service (ENS), which was responsible for the
story.  Attached is his reply, followed by my letter.  Perhaps we
can let this thread drop now, at least until ENS makes a
correction to their first story.  Enjoy.

Erik Still
Senior Health Physicist
Golder Associates Inc.
4104 148th Ave. NE
Redmond, WA  98052
(206) 883-0777
estill@golder.com
http://www.golder.com

Erik Still--

After speaking with Startech this morning I must admit that you
are absolutely correct in you assertions.  The story contained a
great many inaccuracies and a story containg the corrections to
the first story is being prepared with the assistance of Startech
officials.

I regret any misconceptions that I may have delivered to your
desk and can only assert that we will be doubly diligent to carry
only accurate information in the future.

At 11:17 AM 12/5/96 -0800, you wrote: >Dear Editors,

>If you hope to become a credible source of environmental
>information, I would suggest doing a little more homework before
>publishing a story like your "Plasma Technology Promises Nuclear
>Cleanup" (12/5/96).  Like most "pie-in-the-sky" solutions to
>hazardous waste, this article contains just enough techno-speak
>and references to actual waste sites and regulatory agencies to
>make it appear to be real (at least to marginally informed or
>educated people).  Apparently you yourself do not have
sufficient >education to know that you can't alter the
radioactive properties >of material.  You can change their phase
(solid, gas, liquid) or >chemical structure (valence state and
how the radioactive atoms >combine to form different molecules),
but you can't alter an >atom's radioactive characteristics.  You
just can't change a >radioactive atom's half-life.  Similarly,
any lead, arsenic, or >other "toxic" elements will continue to be
the elements that >nature has always intended (unless you change
the nuclear >structure).

>Maybe you don't hope to be considered a credible source of
>information, but if you do, some confirmatory journalistic
>research is in order.  For example, have you confirmed that
>California Radioactive Materials Management Forum (CalRad) even
>exists?.  How long has Startech been around, and what else have
>they done?
>
>I really don't expect you to take my message seriously.  But if
>you don't, you are either perpetuating (or are the butt of) a
big >joke.

>Erik Still
>estill@golder.com
>
>Senior Environmental Scientist