[Fwd: [Fwd: deployment system and sampler tool]]

Group:
I'm posting this for any help you can give Mr. Stowe
--
H.Wade Patterson
1116 Linda Lane

"When we hold a conclusion inviolate, sometimes the assumptions require
certain adjustments."  Harold Hopfenberg, Prof. of Chem. Eng., N.
Carolina State University.

Wade;
Maybe you have some ideas to help this fellow out??
--
Don Patterson
dongolf1@montana.com

We (I and two other students) are working on designing a deployment system
and sampler tool capable of taking radioactive waste samples at the bottom
of a tank.  Although it may be interesting to brainstorm our own
innovative ideas (which we are doing), I was wondering if anyone might
know of some common designs currently being used in similar situations (or
any idea that might work well).  We are also looking for resources (books,
magazines, web sites) that may be helpful for our project.

To give you a more detailed idea of our task, the following is all the
information that was given to us:

-  The tank bottom is 60 ft below grade.  Tank access is through a
vertical 12 inch schedule pipe, 12 ft long with a load limit on the access
port of 200 lbs in any direction.  The access port extends 2 ft out of the
ground and is surrounded by stable soil with a 10,000 lb load limit.

-  The system is expected to reach a sample 0 to 15 ft off the axis of the
access
port at the tank bottom, in any radial direction.

-  The deployment system must be adaptable to a variety of tools weighing
up to 50 lbs.

-  The task is to fill a 100 ml sample bottle (acrylic) with simulated
waste (consistency of soft chalk).

-  It is assumed that the tank bottom is covered with patches of waste
several feet across and up to 2-3 inches thick.

-  The sample bottle is to be brought to the surface and transferred to a
shielded container.

-  Current Robotic systems are considered very expensive and a simpler
system is required.  The deployment system may be manually controlled but
must be actuated.  A vehicle system is also permitted.

Thank you,

Will Stowe

--
Why do now what you could do tomorrow?! . . . let's play Marathon!!!