Greenpeace and education

     Howdy!

     I have been ready the recent thread on Greenpeace with great interest.
      There have been many comments that something has to be done to
     counteract the misinformation generated from Greenpeace.  These
     suggestions have included education in public and private schools.

     This is a wonderful idea, BUT, there has to be a commitment to this
     goal.  This includes money and resources (oft times the same thing.)

     As a former high school science teacher, I can say from experience
     that I would have loved to have more lessons on Nuclear Power and
     related topics.

     Teachers work within very strict time and money constraints.  In order
     to teach effectively, they need to have access to good resources.  Few
     teachers have the time to hunt down topics for their lessons and they
     seldom have time to take large amounts of information and prepare an
     effective lesson plan.  regretfully, teachers will use what is easily
     accessed and easy to disseminate, such as well publicized information
     from Greenpeace.

     The DOE already has some good materials which could be used in K-12
     grades ( and they're free ).  However, almost all teachers are unaware
     of this resource.  We, everyone who cares enough, to be in more
     personal contact with the teachers, especially science teachers, in
     our districts.  We need to offer them, or at least inform them, of
     this resource.  We also need to develop, or find, other resources to
     be available for teachers.  Most teachers would be glad include these
     materials into their lessons.

     This is not the end.  Many teachers are not well enough educated to
     explain concepts that are not fully explained in most resources.  If
     we could offer to donate some of our time as a visitor in class, most
     teachers would jump at such an opportunity.  Also, many schools do not
     have the money or materials to demonstrate most of the concepts.  If
     we could donate, or loan, equipment with our time, students would
     learn much more.

     We really cannot change what is being taught in school without some
     effort.  I believe that with these activities, effective in all
     grades, we should be able to grow a new generation of people who are
     not afraid of anything associated with the term "Nucular."

     Scott Huneycutt
     Health Physicist
     PFP/Hanford

     All opinions are my own and are not necessarily that of my employer.