Re[2]: More Greenpeace intervention

Christopher Beyer:It seems that the realized cost of nuclear power has gone
from too cheap to meter, to 10 cents/kwhr, to 15 cents/kwhr, to.......?? Any
guesses what nuclear power really costs? A guess is all anyone could offer.

Response: Would you like to guess what proportion of the cost increase is
directly related to countering opposition from well meaning but technically
ignorant protesters?

Christopher Beyer:I believe that the implementation of nuclear power was a
tragic and costly historical mistake.

Response: I believe that, in the not too distant future, we will see what a
tragic and costly historical mistake was made by backing away from
implementing nuclear power.  We'll probably be buying the technology (back)
from Japan. (Remember the transistor?)

Christopher Beyer:I also believe that if all the research, money, and
political and military support that went into developing nuclear power, went
into the development of sustainable energy(solar, wind,...) and conservation
we could now have in place an economically and environmentally sound source
of energy.

Response:
(An excerpt from a critique of a memo about the White House Christmas Tree being
'lit by solar power'.)

>How many square feet of solar panel was that to power the equivalent of "1 to 2
>houses"?  Does that allow for reserve capacity to build up storage for cloudy
>days?  What areas would be paved over with cells to supply regions of high
>density population, such as L.A.?  Environmental Impact Statement?
>
>20 year life?  It may be old data, but I was told that mean operating life was
>about 7 years.
>
>What about the hazardous wastes generated by the manufacture of these
>"pollution-free" panels?
>
>I notice that the panels only 'pay back' the power drawn from the grid, which
>still leaves that nasty old coal-fired plant :-) on line (acid rain, greenhouse
>gases, and NORM releases).  Shouldn't they be using storage batteries? Of
>course, those produce _more_ hazardous waste and have a mean operating life of
>about 5 years for deep cycle lead acid batteries. (Again, this might be old
>data)

I'm afraid that solar power panels will never be a viable option for _general_
power applications.  Real useful for remote locations though.

Wind power?  The Altamont Pass (near San Francisco) wind farm barely pays its
own way, from what I recall. And the environmental protests forced the big wind
power station in Suisun City (Also in the S.F. Bay area) to be torn down.

Hydropower? Which scenic river do you want to dam(n) next?  Those are the ones
that have the potential energy to be usable. (Salmon? Snail Darter? Did someone
say Endangered Species?)

Conservation? A laudable goal, and one I agree with, but of limited application.
I notice that you are the one with the computer, and passing along the messages
to your colleague. Did you drive to work, or take the bus? Or better yet bike or
walk?  Is this like the PETA folks who harass women in furs, but wear leather
shoes?  (Never saw one bother a Hell's Angel in leathers either - wonder why?
:-) )

Philippic on Greenpeace _et_al._:
        I once had the privilege of observing a team of Greenpeace protesters at
close range. Close enough that I could identify the type of instrument they were
using, and hear it clicking (When their mouths were shut).  It afforded me some
amusement to hear the one with the meter prattling about how they were being
exposed to radiation because the meter was clicking. And, actually, they were.
Normal background.  Guess they didn't even know how the meter really worked or
what to expect.

*       This opinion is MINE, and only mine.  But I'll share.   *
*          Dave Neil   neildm@inel.gov   maclir@sisna.com       *