Reply to Christopher Beyer

Christopher,

You seem like an intelligent individual.  That being the case why don't you
do some personal investigation into the feasibility of using solar and wind
power versus nuclear energy.  I think (I know) if you did an honest
evaluation you would find that solar and wind will NEVER replace the
use of fossil fuels in our society.

The only possible replacement is nuclear power (fission and maybe
someday fusion).  Even at 100% efficiency solar and wind do not have
the energy density that is required for our society.

I am not saying that solar and wind have no place in our society.  They
do and research should continue.

As for conservation,  are you going to advocate conservation to third
world countries.  If so you are saying to them that they must live in
substandard conditions while we continue to flourish.  Once again their
only option is nuclear.  We are seeing that realization today with
countries like South Korea, Japan (don't be fooled the Japanese don't
have our standard of living), China, India etc. are all increasing their use
of nuclear energy.

Finally, on your point that we don't know what to do with the waste.
You are entirely wrong.  We have a very sound scientific basis for
reprocessing spent nuclear fuel and allowing the short lived
radionuclides to decay in monitored storage facilities.  The problem is that
we don't have the political will to deal with the issue.

Feel free to contact me off line if you would like to continue this
discussion.

Bob Boston
Nuclear Criticality Safety Engineer
Lockheed Martin Advanced Environmental Systems
208-234-3578