Re: The Jungle -Reply

Al Tschaeche wrote in part:

"We have a situation with environmentalists that is unlike any that has come before and we
haven't learned how to deal satisfactorily with it yet."... "But, as someone said, society likes
what it likes.  So, I guess we'll have to wait until society wants things nuclear again.  Al
Tschaeche xat@inel.gov CHP, free thinker, lover of beauty and crisp thought (are these
enough qualifications to judge my abilities Franz?)."

A bit overstated.  I don't think such organizations present anything all that new and different.
Whatever the latin phrase is for "buyer beware" was surely an old cliche even when the
common man spoke latin.  These groups are adept at politics and power, and history has lots
of other examples.  They are countered with equivalent adeptness or they prevail.  Or people
simply don't buy what they say.
What is different now is the speed and ease with which they get their message out.  And the
media seem less skeptical about how valid a story is before broadcast than they used to be,
so they broadcast distortions they are given.  But is it really different?  Haven't people always
had to question sources and validity of information?  Anybody can publish anything on the net,
but that doesn't make it true.
People who are supportive of nuclear technology as good science can also be
environmentalists.  Don't demonize "them" because they have different viewpoints.  And leave
out the "zingers".  Franz and others provide us with a useful non-US perspective that we
sorely lack most times. We cut the value of this forum if people with ideas are discouraged.
"Attack the ideas,not the people."