Staplex Particle Redistribution

     Howdy Radsafers,

     I have had an interesting problem given to me.  Our sample counter guy
     ran a staplex planchet on our Surface Barrier Alpha Spec on day, and
     around one week later, was asked to count it again.  When he did, the
     number of counts (In the Pu region) dropped to 1/3-1/4 the original
     value.  It is doubtfull that this is because of Radon because 1) the
     Staplex has about a 5% radon collection efficiency and 2) This is in
     the Plutonium region on the spectrum (PHA analysis).

     These are my assumptions, which have been verified by review:

     a)  The sample was taken according to procedure (one drop oil, spread
     around the planchett).

     b)  The sample was not disturbed after the first count (rubbing would
     remove some of the activity)

     c)  The sample was not stored in temperature extremes.

     My thoughts are that, over time, the particulates that are captured
     have re-dispursed within the oil.  The oil may appear to be thin film
     to us, but may appear to the (self-aware and always fashionable)
     particle like a small lake.  This would cause self shielding of the
     alpha particles if this is true, and if the thickness is there to
     justify this possibility.

     This may seem to have an easy answer, "Don't wait a week to count a
     Staplex," but the problem suggests a minimum transfer time (from the
     field to the detector) if this is possible.

     Any thougts for this would be helpfull, especially those with
     experience with Staplex samplers for Pu.

     Robert A. Jones
     Health Physicist - PFP
     Hanford, WA
     (509)376-8528