Subject: Disaster planning
From:    radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at mgdestmx01
Date:    11/12/96  11:45 PM

Colleagues,

The Administration of the institution I work for is interested in developing
disaster plans, and accident scenarios, in order to evaluate our readiness
for external disasters involving radiation.

While it is possible that we may have to deal with adult "casualties", the
emphasis in our planning should be on managing and treating children and
infants.

In the city where I live and work, Sydney, Australia, the liklihood of a
nuclear power plant accident, or an accident involving a nuclear powered
warship, is fairly remote.   Therefore, what kinds of accident scenarios
should we consider ?  I guess a "high school science class accident" may
be a possibility,  but what esle do you think likely ?

Unless you feel your response is of general interest to RADSAFE, please
respond directly to my email address, shown below.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark Hanlon,
Radiation Safety Officer,
The New Children's Hospital,
P.O. Box 3515,
PARRAMATTA, NSW, 2124
Australia

Phone  61 2 9845 3324          FAX  61 2 9845 0831

email      markh@mail.kids.usyd.edu.au

Alex Zapantis
Environmental Radiation Officer
Office of the Supervising Scientist
40 Blackall Street
Barton ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA

Email: azapantis@mgdestmx01.erin.gov.au
Fax : (int+) 61 6 274 1519
Phone: (int+) 61 6 274 1642

The Office of the Supervising Scientist is a Branch of the
         Federal Environment Protection Group