Re[2]: food irradiation -Reply

     Does anyone remember the special that I believe was done on "60
     Minutes" or "Night Line" a couple of years ago.  I believe the outfit
     was in Canada and they used a similar method to the one described
     below.

     I can't quite remember, but the show seemed to be reasonably balanced
     and they even slammed this representative for a group that I believe
     was named something like "Clean Food and Water" that is somewhere on
     the east coast like Jersey.  This guy from the group had tried to
     present a paper with 50 or so references saying that irradiation was
     bad.  The personnel from the TV show checked the references and I
     believe every peron references denied knowledge of their reference or
     said that it was improperly written.  The TV show people basically
     said that the group was a fraud.

     I believe that the TV show said that the World Health Organization
     stated that food irradiation was the best process to come along since
     pasteurization.  The W.H.O. is particularly concerned with all of the
     food spoilage that goes on in countries were people are starving.  As
     we all know it often takes an unusually long period of time to get
     food to the people who need it the most.  The extra length of time
     just increases the need for a process like irradiation.

     It was the most balanced reporting of a subject related to radiation
     that I had ever seen.

     Glen Vickers