Re: food irradiation

Hi Kwan, nice to "meet" you again :-)

Group,

Note that Franz is right, but largely irrelevant.

Today the public has no choice because a very few, very well-funded, activists
have an effective political campaign. ("Food and Water" is run by about 3
people.)

The public CAN (COULD) choose because products are marked as irradiated, but
the activists threaten Hormel and others by making a prudent business
decision. (Hormel and others are not afraid the public won't buy their
irradiated food, but that there will be a campaign/boycott against all Hormel
products.) Franz' version of "science" means having no public life of a
citizen.

Those (most?) supporting food irradiation here are knowledgeable of the
science (or professional confidence in those that have done the investigation
and published for 40+ years), and are simply using that knowledge to
communicate their support to the company that is rightfully afraid of the
business effectiveness of the anti-science activists.

Franz argues to do nothing to support rational public policy (as he has done
elsewhere) which is indeed an action "outside of science", and he is failing
the public because, as somebody? said: "All it takes for evil to succeed, is
for good men to do nothing." (My apologies to the women who are included in
the intent - and I'd be interested if somebody knows who said it.)

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com