Radiation Disaster Planning

Dear Colleagues,

Thanks to the many who responded to my request for suggestions about
accidents involving radiation and children. Your communications again
demonstrate the value of RADSAFE as a resource to the radiation
protection community.

The proposals for radiation accidents in which children may become
exposed included (not in any particular order) :

1.      Fire in which one or more sources is subject to combustion, or loses
shielding;
2.      Lost radiography source (medical or industrial);
3.      Transport accident (fuel, radioactive materials, or waste);
4.      Recycled source in metals
5.      Leakage during transport (by air, road, rail or other);
6.      Inappropriate waste disposal;
7.      Reactor meltdown;
8.      Accidental release;
9.     Meterological disasters;
10.    Terrorism.

Given the responses, I may have to rethink the choice of destination for my
next overseas holiday  :')

Many thanks. Season's Greetings to all.

Mark Hanlon,
Radiation Safety Officer,