From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: One last comment on Irradiation
Date: Tuesday, 17. December 1996 06:50

     I personally hope we can close out this thread pretty soon.  I think
     we've reached the point of diminishing returns.  However, there still
     appears to be a miscommunication that I hope I capture here, in that
     Herr Franzhoeffer discusses the issue of whether foodstuffs ought to
     be irradiated in the first place, and whether ALL foodstuffs should be
     REQUIRED to be irradiated, while many of the rest of us appear to
     operate on the basic premise that the decision WHETHER to irradiate
     should be a strictly commercial or private decision, with the
     additional proviso that anyone who doesn't want to eat the stuff
     doesn't have to, because there are plenty of options and one should be
     ALLOWED to act independently of the government insofar as it is
     possible to do so.  This debate is, I believe, better suited to a
     discussion of national and political freedoms, rather than radiation
     safety.

     I promise to climb off my soapbox now.

     V/R
     George Cicotte