'97 HPS midyear meeting in San Jose, CA

Dear friends,

I would like to remind everybody that the 1997 HPS Midyear Meeting on the
topic "Health Physics of Radiation Generating Machines" will be held in
Sand Jose, Calilfornia, on January 5-8. We have an excellent program: 85
oral and poster presentation, a number of PEP and CEC courses, a panel
discussion and a large exhibit hall for vendors. The 545 page Proceedings
are being printed now and will be distributed during registration - I am
convinced that it will become a valuable reference.

I believe that members of the Health Physics Society who planned to attend
already registered for the meeting. It seems that the number of
registrations is not very high at this point, so I would like to make an
appeal for help with spreading this information outside the HPS
membership. The three following areas would be likely to attract
additional registrants:

  - Medical applications: there are two strong sessions related to medical
    applications, a full-day CEC course on Medical Health Physics, and
    a PEP course on shielding of medical accelerators.
  - Safety systems: we have a session on this topic and a number of
    quality papers on this subject. This might be of interest to those
    designing and/or involved with control and interlock systems around
    accelerators and radiation producing machines.
  - Monte Carlo particle transport: There are two PEP courses related to
    the EGS4 and FLUKA transport codes. Practical uses of these and other
    such codes are presented in many of the featured papers

The Preliminary Program, which also contains all the necessary form for
registration and hotel reservation, is available on the web at

                     http://www.hps.org/midyear.htm

Those who don't have access to WWW can get it from SLAC's anonymous ftp
site, ftp.slac.stanford.edu, in the /users/vylet directory. You can choose
between three versions:
midprog.wrd    - Word 6.0 format
midprog.ps     - Postscript file
midprog.txt    - plain ASCII format

Please forward this information to those who might be interested.
Thanks, and happy holidays to all!

--
Vashek Vylet, Program Committee co-chair
Radiation Physics, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center