Permit and Removal of Mixed Wastes

This site is under an emergency CERLA
removal program.  And therefore don't need any
permits to treat the waste.  Some extra
background information:  Three of 200 tanks
have already ruptured.  A big one was cleaned
up by the US Coast Guard Atlantic Strike team
last fall and totaled 80,000 gal of pH 12+ liquid.
USGS is involved because the site is on a
navigable waterway which leads into Long
Island Sound.  A large number of these tanks
could rupture at any moment.  The building is
falling in everywhere and presents a significant
hazard.

More urgency comes from the winter freeze.
We don't know if freezing of liquids in these
tanks could rupture them or if snow on the roof
will collapse the building.

You can understand now why we don't deal with
the permitting process.  Also why this site has
been a bit of a trial by fire for me in transferring
from school (Go U of M, RHE) to the working
world and why I am so greatful for everyone's
assistance.

Mark Winslow
US EPA - Region II

p.s. Over the last weekend one of the building
walls fell over.  Luckily it was an outside wall
and fell outward.  And some people think the
Millstones are a problem on Long Island Sound?
*Laugh*