Re: One last comment on Irradiation

At 21:10 17.12.1996 -0600, you wrote:
>I agree with Jim,
>
>Since this server is assigned to RADSAFETY,  there is no radiation
>safety issue concerning the irradiator itself . We should realize that
>in industrial countries, irradiators do not present a critical rad
>safety problem. Outside the irradiation room, when the 2 million curies
>of Co-60 are exposed, we read background radiations.
>
>Maybe Mrs Wieland was thinking about other countries (I heard some
>pretty incredible stories but are they just stories ?)
>
>Stephane Jean-Francois P. Eng.
>RSO
>Merck Frosst Canada Inc.
>stephane_jeanfrancois.merck.com

Stephane,

Unfortunately these stories might sound incredible, but they are not just
stories. Many accidents have occurred with radioactive sources, though most
of them involved sources for radiography and medical treatment. But even in
irradiation facilities people have died from radiation. You never hear about
such accidents in the news media, though they are not kept secret and are
well known. It seems to be more important to the mass media to discuss
potential risks involving a large number of persons than actual accidents
involving only one or a few persons who died.

If I remember correctly the IAEA has only recently published a book on
accidents in irradiation facilities and the lessons learned. If you or
fellow radsafers are interested in that book I could find out - but please
respond to my private e-mail address.

Joyeux Noel!

Franz
Schoenhofer