I-131 & I-125 Thyroid Measurements

I recently learned of an intercomparison program that is starting at LLNL
that I thought many of you may be interested in. Below is the announcement
from the coordinator of the program:

ANNOUNCEMENT

Nuclear Medicine facilities, RSOs, and Safety Officers please note.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is initiating an
intercomparison program for monitoring thyroid content of I-131 and I-125.
The intercomparison will use the IAEA/ANSI thyroid calibration neck phantom
(see ICRU Report #48) and NIST traceable isotopes.  The phantom is
fabricated at LLNL and provided free of charge to each participating
organization (i.e., the participating organization may keep the phantom).
Every quarter of the year, LLNL will prepare and ship two source vials to
participating facility with one vial containing I-125 and the other
containing I-131.

LLNL will collect and compile the data from each participating facility.
Each facility will receive its results from the previous quarter with the
next quarters intercomparison samples. An annual report, summarizing the
entire year will also be published. In the annual report, there will be
comparisons with the ANSI 13.30 criteria for bioassay and comparisons with
other participating facilities. The identity of each facility will be coded
and kept anonymous on the annual report.

LLNL is anticipating a nominal annual fee of $1,500 to $2,000 to each
participant depending on the number of the participants. If you are
interested in participating, please contact:
 Son N. Nguyen at SNNGUYEN@LLNL.GOV or (510)423-7400.

David P. Hickman, Ph.D.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
dhickman@llnl.gov