Re: RADSAFE digest 1200

> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:10:16 -0500 (EST)
> From: Keith Welch <welch@CEBAF.GOV>
> Subject: Re: O'Leary apologizes for Plutonium Tests
>
> At 12:56 PM 12/18/96 -0600, you wrote:
> >This article discusses O'Leary's "apologizing", words to the effect
> >that one or more individuals "died" from the plutonium injection,
> >etc. This doesn't seem to fit with the previous discussions recently
> >that there was no evidence of any ill effects.
> >-------------------------------------
>

> Now where does one go for the straight scoop when lots of informed HPs are
> saying there was no harm done, and the government is officially apologizing
> for killing people?
>
> Is Hazel really THAT misinformed?  Or has the Radsafe discussion been
> dealing with tests carried out at some other laboratory?
>
> Problem is, now that this is in print, it's almost impossible to refute
> (assuming it's not true).  I can't see Hazel publicly retracting the apology.

The article never said that anyone died of injections, and nobody did.

These tests were done a half century ago.  The surviving subject is in his
eighties or so, and it's not surprising that only one out of twelve remains
alive.

I guess this is how rumors start.  Just because the government talks about
surviving subjects doesn't mean that the deceased subjects were killed by the
experiments.

-dk