Re: Use of acronyms

> I disagree....the whole idea here is brevity.  Short, sweet, and to the
> point. Get a glossary of health physics and nuclear engineering terms.  DOE
> (Department of Energy) was trying to put one together a few years back.
>

> Opinions are my own
>
> Kelly Grahn
> Illinois Dept of Nuclear Safety
> West Chicago Field Office

Another opinion ... there are many individuals who subscribe to this
listserver, and while this is for professionals, it also facilitates
"transfer of knowledge" to others. While I am a reactor physicist as
well as a dosimetrist, there are many areas I have absolutely no
working knowledge in. In many cases a glossary does not exist which
defines all of the many acronyms which we all use on a daily basis.
While being trained in media interactions, the key we were taught was
to use terms that will be understood by the audience. This is true
when dealing with the media, the public and amongst ourselves.
Therefore, while I do agree that we can not always spell out what an
acronym is, we should be sensitive to the fact that in some cases
maybe a "spell-out" would be appropriate.

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division
Office: (800) 548-5100 Ext. 2306