Re: Frequency of SRD Calibration

Dear Jerry,

I'll try to keep my response brief:

1)  Check your licensing and regulations.  The State of California stipulates
that TLD/Film is the primary dosimeter.

2)  If your pocket dosimeter is not NVLAP/DOELAP certified, I don't think it
can truly be the "primary" dosimeter.  (This is off the top of my head; I would
need to check into it further).

3)  If a TLD is lost or damaged, an investigation should be conducted.  The
pocket dosimeter data is certainly valuable, but I would not consider it
"unequivocaly" equivalent to assigned dose, especially where the energy
spectrum of the radiation is of significance.  In fact, I don't consider TLD
dose to necessarily "unequivocally" a correct indication of total dose
(particularly where the dose is "beamed" or where non-homogeneous exposure
occurs).  One assumes that under "normal" conditions that it is, but normal
conditions don't always exist.

4)  An economic issue; we have a dosimeter exposure table to calibrate
dosimeters.  We have found that for convenience and economy, it is fairly easy
to calibrate every quarter and swap out all the dosimeters with the TLDs.  We
specify, however, a six month dosimeter calibration period.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Rocketdyne Division; Boeing North American
Radiation Safety Officer