Re: Dose estimates when dosimetry is lost/damaged

This part of Kent's post I will respond to, just to clarify my
position regarding the philosophy he quoted.

>..........................  And as I recall from
some of your previous posts, you believe that EVERY worker at a
university/hospital should be monitored (Justified because of the
potential for litigation from individuals who received a few millirem
lifetime dose). So when the loading dock worker who handles the
radioactive material package loses his/her badge the same
investigation is conducted.  <

The position you so elequently state as being mine, is close, but not
quite. I want to reiterate that my belief that more people need to be
badged beyond the minimal regulatory limit is MY opinion. This has
been my philosophy way before I joined ICN Dosimetry. And, I have
been in health physics for 26 years ... so it's not a recent
revelation on my part, that we should be making a conscious decision
as to whom we badge. It seems to me that you're attempting to make a
link with my desire to badge more individuals that you would like to,
to my recent hiring by ICN. If so ... NOT nice, Kent!
Yes, I believe more people should be badged.  Why,
because of litigation concerns. You will also recall that I suggest
that a facility discuss this issue with their legal council before
making a change in an established program. Is there a problem with
that? If you don't like one's opinion, then you don't have to follow
it. Have you ever been involved in radiation litigation? If not, be
involved in one and THEN make whatever changes you want in your
program, but get in a case first and get on a witness stand ... feel
the heat.

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division