Re: Radium (was: Fernald Leak)

Message authorized by:
    : Rick_Strickert@radian.com_at_INTERNET at X400PO

Sorry to burst your balloon, but the Vitrification Pilot Plant (VitPP) is
a field test to verify the vitrification option for WASTE DISPOSAL.  There
is no, and never has been, a plan to recover radium.  Your information
about radium recovery is erroneous.

* The 4,500 grams of radium, homogeneously mixed in 10,000 tons of
  radioactive waste, estimate is correct.

*  There are possible medical uses for this radium however, the chemical
   and mechanical separation process required to retreive the radium make
   it extremely expensive.  I am not familar enough with medical HP to
   provide more details.

*  The barium and lead were are a small portion of the surrogate material
   being tested in the melter.

*  The project is not "shut down" however, it is currently at a standstill
   until a root cause investigation and path forward analysis can be
   completed.

You should all remember that our friends in the newsmedia do not always
accurately portray incidents at radioactive facilities.  While there was an
incident involving the VitPP at Fernald, it was fairly minor and there
was NO RADIOLOGICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL CONSEQUENCES.  The fire was limited
to a small (2 ft. by 2ft.) area.

The Department of Energy published a news release describing the event on
December 27, 1996.  Please contact me individually for more information.

The opinions expressed in this message are solely my own and not reflective
of
the Department of Energy.

Pete Darnell
Health Physicist