Frequency of SRD Calibration -Reply

Jerry,

In my experience, I find self reading dosimeters to give high estimates of doses because of
their responses to humidity, shock, etc.  A factor of two would not be surprising in a humid
environment.  Carl Siebentritt's new SRDs, I believe, have overcome the humidity problem but I
don't know about their availability.  As to the regulatory problem, I believe you would have less
trouble if you used the higher (primary dosimeter) calibration frequency but the lower frequency
should be defensible.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov