Re: Blatant refusal to "follow" procedures

At 15:13 01/01/97 -0600, you wrote:
>> Our board certified physicist takes a  calibration block and build-up
> block (which I  constructed,) and  exposes an ion chamber under
> the therapy machine. He then  feeds the raw meter reading into a
> computer program (which I wrote.) The program  applies several
> correction factors, (which I have selected or calculated,) and
> generates a report showing the number of centi-Gray per machine unit.
> According to state  definition, who is doing the calibration?
>
> Yup! According  to IDNS, I am not involved.<
>
>Frank,
>
>Seems to me that without you there wouldn't have been any
>calibration. Well, they would have been able to accomplish it, but,
>your "definite" involvement was the key ingredient. I agree with your
>assessment of paperwork versus reality.
>
>Sandy Perle
>Director, Technical Operations
>ICN Dosimetry Division
>Office: (800) 548-5100 Ext. 2306
>Fax: (714) 668-3149

I think that the point is being missed.  I do not disagree that there is a
discrepancy wrt "who" did the work.  The key point is that the Board
Certified Physicist signed the calibration report and therefore took
complete responsibility for all of the work performed by Frank. .... the
construction of the phantom and the writing of the algolrithm, etc.  If the
Board Certified Physicist did not independetly validate the results
calculated by the computer code and also the construction, composition, etc
of the phantom the Board Certified Physicist has placed him/herself in an
"soft" position if there is an error in the calibration.

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

mailto:thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246