Linear Accelerator Design Criteria

To All,

A question was posed to me concerning the existance of design criteria
associated with linear accelerators.  This led into a discussion concerning
the waste acceptance criteria for our onsite disposal and storage facilities
when the accelerator reached its end of useful life and had to be
decommissioned ...

Any information someone may have relating to this topic would be extremely
helpful.  Specifically...

1)  Are there any good references, studies, or papers associated with
surrounding soil activiation around linear accelerators based upon the
particle type and energy.

2)  Are there general design criteria associated with the determination of
shielding requirements to minimize surrounding soil activation around the
facility.

3)  My concept on the issue associated with facility decommissioning
followed the the line of reasoning that a computational code such as RESRAD
would be used to evaluate a conservative soil usage model (e.g. residential
soil usage model) whereby it would be determined what levels of residual
radioactivity could be acceptable to remain after facility closure based
upon an annual effective dose equivalent (e.g. for conservative example, 10
mr/yr, dependent on how restrictive this requirement would make the facility
design).

Any reference to regulations, etc. would be greatly appreciated.  You can
either e-mail me directly or post this to all Radsafe subscribers if the
information will be beneficial to all.

Thanks,

Greg Larson
e-mail:  larsongr@ornl.gov