Re: OPINION - was O'Leary apologizes fo

Bob,
Distinguish between "politicians" and bureaucrats. Politicians have every
right to "pander", which includes making whatever statements manipulate the
public, and that is fine with the public til found out. Make political
arguments on those terms. OTOH, gov't agencies are held to an admin standard
that doesn't allow "arbitrary and capricious" decisions, and they have been
held to it, with a lot of discretion, by the courts. Eg, the "Delaney
amendment" law stands, a similar decision by an agency can't if arbitrary (or
to implement the law).

When Clinton/O'Leary, and adversaries make a "political" statement it meets
the political standard, ie, whatever gets votes, truth is not considered
beyond the "smell" test; when making an agency decision, it could be
challenged if arbitrary and capricious, where the standard is supposedly the
truth and integrity of the process. That happened, eg, in compensation for the
Utah "victims" of weapons tests. No adverse health effects, but a
*Congressional* act to resolve the political issue. Here we seem to have an
agency act that could be challenged - but who would? More people make a living
on the fear of radiation than care about either the public treasury or the
dying contribution of nuclear technology to the future our children inherit.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com