Re: to be or not to be

Roger Gelder orignially said "In the UK, I have always considered
regulations to be a direct reflection of accidents, incidents and errors
giving rise to either radiation exposure or very nearly to an exposure.
Without regulators examining such events and incorporating remedies into
legislation we are fated to repeat the worst parts - and those for which we
may have been most criticised in the past."

 I personally do not subscribe strongly to this view. I think (hope) that
the original legislation arose from  a general realisation of the risk of
harm from radiation. Certainly there had not been any major accidents by the
time that the first legislation was introduced.

The terms "accidents and  incidents" are not used or defined in the Ionising
Radiations Regulations. I am not very familiar with the Nuclear
Installations Regulations and hence cannot comment. The IRRs do mention
'certain occurrences' which relate to uncontrolled releases of radioactive
materials or unexpected contamination.  A general set of legislation, the
Reporting of Injuries,Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations defines
a 'dangerous occurrence' as malfunction of the control system of a radiation
generator or a source not returning to safe condition. The topic of
accidents and incidents are therefore not widely addressed in the
legislation.

As for 'monetary penalty, fines', these can only be imposed by a Court of
Law after the successful prosecution by an Inspector of the Health and
Safety Executive. A magistrate or jury will decide whether the plaintiff is
guilty and the magistrate or Judge decides the fine according to the
severity of the case. An Inspector cannot impose a fine directly.

I hope this answers your questions.

Roy