PuBe sources

We have recently been informed that our 5 Ci PuBe sources (about 30 years
old) have a design lifetime of about 20 years.  We have also been told that
these sources have a history of beginning to leak.  The researchers using
these sources do not wish to part with them because they are using the
sources and replacement AmBe sources are expensive.

Can anyone in RADSAFE-land give us the benefit of your experiences with PuBe
sources, especially regarding their actual non-leaking lifetime?  Please
feel to respond to me directly (karam.1@osu.edu) if you do not feel that the
entire group is interested.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Karam, CHP (karam.1@osu.edu)
Office of Radiation Safety
The Ohio State University
1314 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH  43212

Phone: (614) 292-1284   Fax: (614) 292-6404	Alt fax:   292-7002