Subject: Envirocare and Conflict of Interest
Author:  VERNIG.PETER@FORUM.VA.GOV at Internet
Date:    1/8/97 3:57 PM

I was just given a copy of an Associated Press story published in the
Denver Post, 1/2/97.  The story inicates that a criminal investigation
has been launched by the Utah Attorney General's Office into conflict
of interest of the former Chief Radiation Control Officer.  The allegation
is that he received substantial [$600,000] compensation as a consultant,
to Envirocare while he was regulating them, a violation of Utah's ethics
laws.  An Envirocare official is quoted as saying he was extorting money
from them.  He is quoted as saying he has done nothing wrong.  He is re-
ported to have signed several amendments, without apparent review by
others, the two important ones cited were increasing the storage
capacity from 17,000 to 300,000 cubic yards and one eliminating the
language limiting Envirocare to "naturally occuring" radioactive waste.
Those amendments in Jan and Feb of 89 respectively.  The thing apparently
became public when the former State Official sued Envirocare for breach
of contract claiming they owe him an additional $5 million.

Maybe somebody with more digital savy can post a copy of the article or
any other articles.

Regards,
Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center, Denver
vernig.peter@forum.va.gov