RE: industry event - contingency plans

Bill Lipton wrote:
My question is:  Does anybody have a contingency plan for disconnecting
clogged hose which is or may be under pressure?  Such a plan would
probably
involve disconnecting the hose within a containment.  I'd appreciate any
information on how such events are managed.

In my opinion the transfer of high (and medium) radioactive liquids must
be made with respect to nuclear safety rules. The hose should not be
pressurized when is allowed to be disconnected, the operators
disconnected it in a wrong moment.

I dare to suggest a difference of elevation between the two containers,
the recipient at the higher level, a by-pass for the pump (if not a
turbo-pump), a vane at the recipient's inlet and a good work procedure.

To be sure the hose is not under pressure a T-pipe with a manometer
somewhere on the hose will do the job.

Best regards,
Cristian Nicolau
cnicolau@interlog.com