industry event - contingency plans

A recent industry event, involving personnel and area contamination, occurred
when individuals attempted to disconnect a clogged hose that had been used to
pump a radioactive sludge with an air driven pump.  The hose was still
pressurized, and sprayed highly radioactive sludge.  It's my understanding
that, although the persons involved thought that they had depressurized the
hose before disconnecting it, there was residual pressure trapped by the clog.

My question is:  Does anybody have a contingency plan for disconnecting a
clogged hose which is or may be under pressure?  Such a plan would probably
involve disconnecting the hose within a containment.  I'd appreciate any
information on how such events are managed.  Please respond via RADSAFE or
directly to me."

Bill Lipton
e-mail:  liptonw@detroitedison.com

Here's to a risk free world and other fantasies.