Re: Cosmic Rays Postpone Mars Mission

I have extracted 2 paragraphs from the report posted to RadSafe this morning.
My question is: what is this about lithium hydride shielding? I don't
understand this. Does anyone else understand?

>NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The first human visit to the Red Planet may be
>postponed until
>scientists determine the long-term effects of cosmic rays upon the
>health of astronauts.

... several paragraphs omitted ...

>The problem for NASA is that no one knows just how much protection may
>be needed.
>Shielding would probably require materials such as lithium hydride,
>adding bulk and
>weight to spacecraft.

"Shlala gashle" (Zulu greeting, meaning "Stay safe")
mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)