Re: $2500 award

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Ron L. Kathren wrote:

> Bernie --
>
> You've probably thought of this, but it occurred to me that many of the
> counties with high radon levels are located in areas which have high
> percentages of individuals who lead so-called 'clean' life styles (such as
> LDS and SDA), and who spend more time outdoors than indoors.   The latter
> could actually result in reduction of exposure. Could this be a factor?
> Also, were such factors as snow cover and soil moisture, which inhibit the
> emanation of radon from the soil, considered?

	I did treat this problem in some detail a few years ago. I
remember eliminating all counties with appreciable populations of
clean-living group, but it didn't make any difference.
	The snow cover and soil moisture problems should be covered by my
treatment of average temperature and  average rainfall. My results are the
same if we consider only the warmest areas or if we consider only the
coldest areas, if we consider only the wettest areas or only the dryest
areas, etc, etc for over 60 potential confounding factors.