Re: Tc-99m Bioassay in Nuclear Medicine Workers

Dear Richard

My colleague Dr. Merv. Billinghurst (head of our centralized radiopharmacy) and I
(RSO) are just finishing up a national research project in Canada(funded by the Atomic
Energy Control Board) to identify suitable detector systems and then to determine the
frequency and magnitude of Tc-99m contamination in Nuclear Medicine workers. We
performed a formal evaluation of many types of radiation detectors and counting
geometries.  We then placed our custom designed bioassay system in 20 different
hospitals across Canada, where all nuclear medicine & radiopharmacy staff submitted to
daily bioassay measurements for 6 months, and also kept track of the amount of Tc-99m
they handled, and the types of procedures performed.  We are currently in the process of
analyzing the results of many thousands of daily Tc-99m bioassay measurements on these
volunteers, selecting dosimetry models, estimating the effective radiation doses to
those who did show intake of Tc-99m, and finally correlating the results (intakes,
committed effective doses) to the type of work they were doing. The AECB supported this
research project in order to determine if and when Tc-99m bioassay measurements should
be required to ascertain internal doses.

This was a major project, which has kept us very busy over the past 4 years.  We are in
the process of writing up our fimal results and will submit several papers on the topic
for publication in a few months.

I will present our findings at the May 1997 Conjoint Meeting of the Canadian Radiation
Protection Association and the Campus Radiation Safety Officers to be held in Victoria -
see the January HPS Newsletter (p.23) for details if you plan to go.

I caution you that a simple daily frisk (as suggested by another Radsafer) will not give
very meaningful information - we spent a year evaluating different types of detectors
and designing our bioassay system & phantom.  So I'd suggest that you and anyone else
who is interested just wait for about six months until our results are published - or
attend the conference.

Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Office
Health Sciences Centre 		phone	(204) 787-2903
GC-214, 820 Sherbrook St.	fax	(204) 787-1313
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada	e-mail	kgordon@cc.umanitoba.ca