Ron Kathrens comment on indoor radon concentrations

At 15:29 27.01.1997 -0600, you wrote:

"How do indoor radon measurements/correlations get affected by snow cover/soil
>moisture? :-)   This kind of unscientific rationalization pervades the
>questions and questioners of Bernie's (and others') rigorously,
>scientifically-developed, results. Others pick up such pejorative "questions"
>and treat them as serious scientific questions and even uncertainties,
>supporting the linear model campaign to raid the public purse."
>
>It is well known that snow cover and soil moisture affect outdoor airborne
>radon concentrations; I daresay the effect on indoor levels has not been
>well studied.  The question is legitimate; it is unquestionably not
>"unscientific rationalization".

I do not want to comment on the very topic, but only on your comment
repeated above.

The effect of snow cover, soil moisture, frozen soil, wind speed, wind
direction, air temperature etc. (environmental factors) on the indoor radon
levels exists. Studies are going on in Europe. It has probably not yet been
studied extensively, but the influence of these environmental factors may
change the indoor radon concentration by orders of magnitude. Depending on
the circumstances there are houses, which show higher radon concentrations
in summer than in winter.

These effects cannot be neglected. Nature is extremely complex and
complicated and one has to consider all possible effects - this is
legitimate and cannot be denied beforehand.

Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 WIEN