Intercomaparison Programs for In Vivo Measurement

It seems that since November, I have been inundated with questions
regarding in vivo bioassay  intercomparison programs (for radiation
protection purposes). For this reason I thought it would be useful to post
some information about on-going programs I presented last month in India
regarding various North American programs that I know exist. I have
purposely left out the DOELAP Accreditation program, since this is an
accreditation program specifically applied to DOE facilities. If you have
been left out, my apologies. I consider intercomparison programs as a
formal documented process where comparative results are provided after a
measurement has been made, as compared to obtaining a calibration phantom
from another facility and cross calibrating or making a single comparison.
In a latter posting I will provide a listing of various phantom resources
for single comparisons and cross calibrating, many of which are free. Below
I have categorized the intercomparison programs according to type of
measurement.

Intercomparison Programs For Thyroid Measurements:

Contact: Dr. Son Nguyen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
P.O. Box 808   L-379
Livermore, CA   94550
Phone: 510-423-7400
Fax: 510-422-5176
e-mail: snnguyen@llnl.gov
Radionuclides: I-125 and I-131
Approx. Cost:  1-2$K
Frequency: Quarterly with Quarterly Reports and Annual Reports
Comments: Includes ANSI/IAEA thyroid phantom

Contact: Gary Krammer
BMRD Canada
775 Brookfield Rd.
Ottawa  Ontario K1A 1C1
Canada, CN 026
Phone: 613-954-6668
Fax 613-957-1089
e-mail: Gary_H_Kramer@isdtcp3.hwc.ca
Radionuclides: I-123
Approx. Cost: Free (BMRD is expecting to start charging for this service in
April, check with Gary)
Frequency: Quarterly (? - check with Gary)

Intercomparison Programs for LLNL Torso Phantom Lung Sets:

Contact: Dr. Henry Spitz
University of Cincinnati
Department of  Mechanical, Industrial, and Nuclear Engineering
Center for Radiological Assessment and Measurement
P.O. Box 210072
Cincinnati, OH  45221-0072
Phone: 513-556-2003
Fax: 513-556-3390
e-mail: hspitz@uceng.uc.edu
Radionuclides: Various, including Pu-239, Pu-238, Am-241, etc. (contact Henry)
Approx. Cost: 1-2 $K
Frequency: Check with Henry
Comments: Must have an LLNL torso phantom

Whole Body Counting Intercomparison Programs:

Contact: Gerard Payne
OAK RIDGE NATIONAL LABORATORY
PO BOX 2008 MS6045
OAK RIDGE TN  37831-6045
Phone: 423-574-5014
Fax: Ask Ged
e-mail: paynegf1@ornl.gov
Radionuclides: Co-57, Ba-133, Cs-137, Co-60, Y-88
Approx. Cost:  3 $K
Frequency: Quarterly with Quarterly and Annual Reports
Comments: Requires APT style phantom, which can be supplied through the
program

Contact: Gary Krammer
BMRD Canada
775 Brookfield Rd.
Ottawa  Ontario K1A 1C1
Canada, CN 026
Phone: 613-954-6668
Fax 613-957-1089
e-mail: Gary_H_Kramer@isdtcp3.hwc.ca
Radionuclides:  Cs-137, Y-88
Approx. Cost: Free (BMRD is expecting to start charging for this service in
April, check with Gary)
Frequency: Various - results are sent after all facilities have completed
measurement - may take 1-3 years before obtaining results.
Comment: Cost of mailing the BOMAB phantom to next participating facility
is born by your facility - different sized BOMABs are used.

Hopefully, the community will find this information useful. Personally, I
like to participate in as many of these programs as possible. I also
believe these programs to be essential for any facility that is performing
in vivo measurements to demonstrate compliance with regulatory requirements.

David P. Hickman, Ph.D.
dhickman@llnl.gov