Re: ???Selection of MDA for Volumetric Contamination

     Jim,  For nuclear plants, the definition of "how hard you have to
     look" is clearly specified in the Radiological Effluent Technical
     Specifications in the Offsite Dose Calculation Manual, (see
     Environmental Sample Analysis Table 4.12-1 in NUREG-1301 or
     -1302, or the older versions NUREG-0472 or -0473).  The LLD of
     the system (determined 'a priori') is defined for specified
     isotopes in different media: water, airborne particulates, fish,
     milk, food products and sediment.  You then simply analyze the
     material sufficiently long to ensure you meet the required
     sensitivity for the specified isotopes.  This is all based on the
     concept that anything detectable means no release for
     unrestricted use, absent the provisions of liquid effluents,
     sewage disposal, etc.  Let me know if you'd like me to fax you a
     few pertinent pages, or the memo from the NRC that says this is
     how "free" releases are done (HP Position Paper #221 in
     NUREG/CR-5569).

     Some selected LLDs are:  For sediment - 150 pCi/kg Cs-134; 180
     pCi/kg Cs-137
     For water - 2000 pCi/l H-3, 15 pCi/l Co-60, 18 pCi/l Cs-137....
     For fish...

     Eric Goldin
     Southern California Edison
     goldinem@songs.sce.com