Re: SI units -- observable and derived

At 09:04 28.01.1997 -0600, you wrote:

>     I received a report from another listserver containing an unfamiliar
>     abbreviation.  When I inquired about it, the response didn't shed much
>     light on the meaning.  Below is a copy of the pertinent part of the
>     exchange:
>

>     +>+      IN DIA BY 0.1875" LONG AS 30 - 50aeCi OF CS-137.
>     +>                                        ^^^^
>     +>      Is the system misrendering a micro symbol, or is this a
>     +>      special abbreviation of which I was not aware?
>     +
>     +The "ae" is my replacement of a single high-bit character that looks
>     +like "ae"
>
>     I went to my handy references and didn't find this character used for
>     any of the SI prefixes listed.
>
>     Can someone fill me in?
>
>     Just to make it absolutely certain, it appears that the character
>     mentioned is ASCII 145 or 146. In BASIC the command "PRINT CHR$(145),
>     CHR$(146)" will display them on screen.
>
>     Thank you,
>     Dave Neil
>     neildm@inel.gov

Dave,

There are some letters in foreign languages that do not occur in English.
Even citation marks or special symbols like question mark etc often are not
transferred in the internet or via e-mail the same way as they were stroke
on the keyboard. To name just a few languages which have letters not used in
English: French, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, German, Finnish.
Then there is of course the greek letter used for micro - this would be the
only possibility in my opinion, because all other abbreviations like pico,
milli, mega, giga etc. should transfer correctly. Sorry, I do not have the
possibility to check ASCII 145 and 146. In case you cannot get a direct
explanation from radsafer I would recommend to contact the sender of the
message.

Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7