Re: I-125/I-129 Calibration Sources

Hello Radsafers:

The emission data I use for examining the photon output of the two iodines
in question (taken from the  RadDecay program):

I-129 for Calibration and Performance Verification Procedures

Emission	Mean #/Decay	Energy

G1		0.0801		39.5 keV
X1		0.3814		29.7 keV
X2		0.1968		29.4 keV
X3		0.1052		33.6 keV
X4		0.0221		34.5 keV

		0.7856 (~79%)

I-125 for Calibration and Performance Verification Procedures

Emission	Mean #/Decay	Energy

G1		0.0666		35.4 keV
X1		0.7615		27.4 keV
X2		0.3906		27.2 keV
X3		0.2056		30.9 keV
X4		0.0426		31.8 keV

		1.4669 (~147%)

Regarding detection:

If I'm correct, most thin-crystal PMT detection systems have ~2 - 5
microsecond recovery (or resolving) times.   That seems sort of long if you
look into Knoll, but if you combine scintillator decay times (230 ns) with
the dead times of the PMT and rest of the instrumentation the figure is
probably ball-park (Paul Frame - are you lurking about).  I've gotten the 2
- 5 microsecond figures from both Ludlum and Victoreen.

With I-125 there is a statistical chance of more than one photon being
emitted per decay, however, what are the chances of those being detected
separately?  Wouldn't that be a function of the dead time of the detection
system, and/or the time differential between each photon (in that
particular decay) being emitted?  And isn't there a only fifty percent
(max) chance of the two photons being emitted in the "capture" geometry (2
Pi ) of the detector?

I am operating under the assumption (looking at decay schemes for I-131 -
don't have a detailed one for I-125) that the time difference between
emissions from the same decay is on the order of nano or pico seconds.  All
the detector would register would be a higher energy (sum peak) photon
rather than two separate events (which could complicate the calculation of
efficiencies and activities).  So isn't it reasonable to assume that for
I-125/I-129 the "calibration factor" would be on the order of 1.0/0.7856 =
1.273 (and not 2 as suggested in a previous post).

In reality I haven't used I-129 as a calibration or a check source.  But
the least expensive supplier of NIST traceable I-125 sources no longer
produces them (Test-R out of IL), so using I-129 might become an economical
necessity rather than an option.

Any comments or criticism regarding the thoughts provided above are welcomed!

Regards,

-Erick Lindstrom

 Erick Lindstrom
 Radiation Safety Officer
 Montana State University
 309 Montana Hall
 Bozeman, MT  59717-2440
 Phone: (406) 994-2108
 Fax:   (406) 994-4792
 avrel@gemini.oscs.montana.edu

 "Strange as it may seem, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
 formal education positively fortifies it."  - Stephen Vizinczey