Re: Interpreting the negative association of Cohen's data and lung cancer by county

Dear Radsafers:
     I have enjoyed the many comments, many of which are quite resource-
ful and provocative.  However, there is a (possible) very simple
explanation.  Lung cancer incidence has long been known to be higher in
urban than rural areas; the assumption that this was a reflection of
general urban pollution was widespread, but it is not true.  The primary
reason is that the urban-rural gradient in lung cancer is greatest where
pollution gradients are low, and in the few locations in which actual
levels of pollution can be included, there is no significant contribution.
Thus, we know that population density is positively associated with lung
cancer in virtually every place it has been looked for.  Its mechanism
is not known.  For understanding Cohen's gradients, let us first
recognize that lung cancer goes up with population density. His data
clearly show that radon in negatively associated with population density.
Once one accepts that radon is heavy and its source is in the ground, then
it must follow that people in apartments have on the average lower radon
exposures than do residents in the single family home.
     I have tried to get the data Bernie says is in an "anonymous" file
to illustrate the paradox and to suggest some approaches to reducing its
impact, but in vain.  This argument is not directed to any hypothesis of
linearity or dealing with a threshold.  It is directed to acceptance of
the repeatedly shown positive association  of lung cancer to population
density.  Given the known source and dispersion of radon and its confirmation
by measurements in U.S. counties, the relationship could not be other
than a negative one, unless the contribution of radon was  much greater
than in miners, which is implausable.
      John Goldsmith, Professor of Epidemiology, Ben Gurion University
of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel.  gjohn@BGUMAIL.BGU.AC.IL