S. Africa, Britain, radwaste, naval war?

This is from Reuters News service. More instigative journalism ..
more hype ..  Seems that nuclear issues, aimed to alienate the
public, will continue. This is very disturbing.
-------
 CAPE TOWN, South Africa  - A British ship carrying
reprocessed nuclear waste to Japan from France reneged on a
promise that it would not enter South Africa's 200-mile
exclusive economic zone, government officials said Monday.
  ``The government received assurances that they would not
(come within 200 miles of the coast), and they did, which is
very unfortunate,'' said Cassandra Gabriel, spokeswoman for the
Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism.
  She said Pallo Jordan, minister of the department, was
expected to make a full statement Tuesday.
  South African Navy spokesman Stan Slogrove said a minehunter
monitored the ship, the Pacific Teal, Sunday as it passed the
Cape coast on its way from France to Japan.
  ``At the speed and course she was following she would have
left the EEZ by now and is on her way to the east. We will
continue monitoring until she's well outside our area,'' he
said.
  ``We monitored her about 140 nautical miles (off the coast).
She just kept on her course, she was making a little cut off the Cape,
cutting the corner a bit,'' Slogrove said, adding that the minehunter
did not radio the ship at any stage.
  The ship is carrying 40 blocks of vitrified radioactive
plutonium waste back to Japan after reprocessing in France.

-------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
        sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -