Re: S. Africa, Britain, radwaste, naval war?

At 21:08 03.02.1997 -0600, you wrote:

>This is from Reuters News service. More instigative journalism ..
>more hype ..  Seems that nuclear issues, aimed to alienate the
>public, will continue. This is very disturbing.
>-------
> CAPE TOWN, South Africa  - A British ship carrying
>reprocessed nuclear waste to Japan from France reneged on a
>promise that it would not enter South Africa's 200-mile
>exclusive economic zone, government officials said Monday.

Sandy,

I wonder whether this message was only on Reuters News Service or was
distributed also via mass media - which would make a big difference.

The mass media of my country are absolut hysteric with respect to any
nuclear issue -  b u t  I heard and read no news about the transport. During
the last transport to Japan our media reported almost every day about it,
giving the position of the ship and citing Greenpeace statements. I take
this as an indication that such issues are getting more and more
uninteresting for the news media and the public. There is still no accident
and no sensation to report. The more transports will occur, the less the
reaction will be until nobody will take notice of them any more. There are
quite a few examples in other fields.

To me it seems that Greenpeace is backing out from the nuclear issue in
Europe. They and other environmentalist groups are now taken up completely
with genetic engineering. How is the situation in the USA?

Public opinion cannot be changed within days, but to me there seems to be
hope that we are already in the process of change.

franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 WIEN