H-3 in desiccant (Drierite)?

I am asking THE LIST for help for a colleague of mine who is not a
subscriber:
At his college they had an accident where a container of
desiccant (a small jar of Drierite, MgSO4, about 1/4 - 1/2 lb.) and
some vacuum pump oil (about 400 ml) were contaminated with H-3.
A 0.2 ml sample of the original pump oil suspended in scintillation
cocktail read 1500 CPM.  The vacuum pump was rinsed with fresh oil
that was also analyzed.  The "rinse oil" had readings
indistinguishable from background.
They plan to mix the two oil samples with one gallon of xylene and
dispose of it as flammable waste.
The Question is:  How can the desiccant be counted?  Drierite
consists of coarse morsels that change color when moisture is
absorbed.  Is it possible to get a valid reading when these morsels
are suspended in scintillation cocktail and counted?
At their college they work only with small quantities of
radioisotopes;  all their waste is low level, they do not have any
dry waste disposal.
Please respond directly to me or to the list if you think your answer
benefits all.
My e-mail address is: HKS$DFM@QC1.QC.EDU
I appreciate your help!
Helga