Re: Access to Energy and Bernie Cohen

Randall_F_Brich@RL.gov wrote:

>      Why is it then that EPA can revise the Clean Air Act requirements for
>      particulate matter based on exactly these sorts of studies, ie.,
>      ecological? Could it be that EPA only accepts the ecological studies
>      that support their position; and, ignores the rest?

The EPA, particularly with respect to ionizing radiation, has
established a policy of using the linear no-threshold hypothesis as the
basis for estimating effects.  Since that hypothesis only addresses
deleterious effects, the only information EPA will consider is
information that is in concert with that policy.  I was with Bill Rowe
when he, as head of the radiation group at EPA years ago, enunciated
that policy.  I told him at the time that I thought it was not a good
idea.  But he was "The Government" and knew best.

You might be interested in reading a note I had published in Health
Physics and the EPA response.  They are both in volume 54, no. 5 pp
565-566, May 1988.  I think Cothern is still at the EPA.  Al Tschaeche
xat@inel.gov