Neutron Thermalization Optimization

Anthony,

Here's how we'd solve this problem:

1.  Use IAEA Technical Report Series No. 318 for neutron spectra.
2.  Input the source distribution into MCNP and establish all corresponding
MCNP input for the specific case: materials, geometry, etc.
3.  Use the code to predict at what point the thermal flux is optimized.

By measurement:
1.  Time tag a Cf252 source and measure the resulting time distribution of
fission neutrons (the so-called Rossi alpha distribution).  We have
time-tagged Cf-252 neutrons in two ways:  a.  using 2 NaI detectors to
measure coincident gamma-rays (a bit sloppy but it works), then open the
"gate" for detecting subsequent neutrons; or b. using a 4pi ion chamber with
a ng of Cf252 placed inside---the neutrons are tagged at a time when the
highly charged fission fragments are detected by the ion chamber.
2.  By tagging the neutrons to the Cf-252 source, you will get an "exact"
representation of system efficiency.  Use a bare He3 or BF3 tube to measure
the thermal flux in various geometries.  Make sure your discriminator is set
high enough to discriminate out the gobs of gamma-rays emitted from the source.
3.  If you can't afford or don't have the time to time-tag the neutrons, you
can just time-integrate the output of the neutron detector and experiment
with your proposed design.

I don't know what the spectrum is for AmBe or PuBe, but I would guess that
the poly will be no thicker than 15 cm, and probably around 7 to 10cm.

Jeff Chapman