Re: radiopharmaceutical patient release

Amen, Al,
And there's the lack of (long-term, carcinogenic, and other :-) effects on the
PATIENTS themselves: e.g., Rosalyn Yalow's report of Saenger' studies of
36,000 hyperthyroid patients, 22,000 treated with I-131 with an estimated mean
10 cSv WB/bone, have no excess leukemia; an equivalent study by Holm et al in
Sweden of 10,000 cases, 15-year followup, also shows no effects. Nuclear
medicine literature reports no effects - yet we then strain at concern about
exposing others to trivial doses, and promulgating misinformation to patients
and the public in so doing, to the detriment of nuclear medicine and all
nuclear technology. (Not to mention indicting our technology and programs for
"rad protection" at power plants and elsewhere that would react to such
trivial exposures as other than of incidental interest.)

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com