tritium exit signs

Here's a recent incident report involving a tritium exit sign.

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

We have received your e-mail request for a file from our system. We are
replying with the requested file as an attachment to this message.

sysop
trobb.com

LOSS OF GENERALLY LICENSED DEVICE AND DISCOVERY OF LICENSED
MATERIAL IN AN UNRESTRICTED AREA (EVENT NUMBERS: 31741/31742)
Davis Monthan Air Force Base
NRCPNO PNO1997 4970PN.TXT

                                 -1-                  February  7, 1997

PRELIMINARY NOTIFICATION OF EVENT OR UNUSUAL OCCURRENCE PNO-IV-97-009

This preliminary notification constitutes EARLY notice of events of POSSIBLE
safety or public interest significance. The information is as initially
received without verification or evaluation, and is basically all that is
known by Region IV staff in Arlington, Texas on this date.

Facility                                    Licensee Emergency Classification
U.S. Air Force                                Notification of Unusual Event
Davis Monthan Air Force Base                  Alert
McClellan Air Force Base                      Site Area Emergency
Brooks Air Force Base                         General Emergency
San Antonio,Texas  78228                    X Not Applicable
Dockets: 03028641 License No: 42-23539-01AF

Subject:  LOSS OF GENERALLY LICENSED DEVICE AND DISCOVERY OF LICENSED
          MATERIAL IN AN UNRESTRICTED AREA (EVENT NUMBERS: 31741/31742)

On February 6, 1997, a representative of the U.S. Air Force Radioisotope Committee (RIC)
provided telephone notification to the Region IV office of two incidents reported to the
RIC by
U.S. Air Force permittees.

The first incident involved discovery of the loss of a self-illuminated exit sign at Davis
Monthan
Air Force Base (AFB) in Tuscon, Arizona.  The exit sign was previously located in a building
on base (building number was not known) and contained approximately 20 curies of tritium.
The sign was discovered missing when base personnel performed an inventory of
self-illuminated exit signs as part of an ongoing effort to identify the location of
generally
licensed signs and to inventory them periodically.  This effort was initiated in response
to an
earlier discovery of several missing exit signs at the base.  At the time of the report, the
disposition of the sign was unknown, although RIC representatives suspected that the sign
may have been removed during building renovations in January 1996.

The second incident involved discovery of two foil sources in an unrestricted area of
McClellan
AFB in Sacramento, California.  A RIC representative reported that while working on
removal
of all material from the Environmental Management Building, an individual found a small
box
containing two foil sources encased in epoxy.  The sources were marked indicating that they
contained strontium-90.  Based on initial evaluation, the permittee estimated that the
total
activity of the sources was approximately 1 millicurie.  The epoxy covering the foil
sources
had deteriorated and was crumbling when the sources were found.  The individual who
initially
located the sources removed them from the box, handling them without gloves or other
protection, and subsequently ate a doughnut.  The sources were retrieved by the base
radiation protection officer who performed removable contamination surveys and did not
identify any removable contamination.  (The base radiation protection officer reported
that a
thin layer of epoxy still covered the sources.) In a subsequent telephone conversation,
the RIC
informed Region IV that the base radiation protection officer plans to perform a dose
evaluation for the individual who handled the sources.

PNO-IV-97-009                   -2-

The states of Arizona and California will be informed.

Region IV received notification of this occurrence by telephone from the Air Force
Radioisotope
Committee at 4 p.m. (CST) on February 6, 1997.  Updated information was obtained from the
RIC on February 7, 1997.  Region IV has informed NMSS.

This information herein has been discussed with the licensee and is current as of 9 a.m.
(CST),
February 7, 1997.

Contact:  Linda L. Howell       M. Linda McLean
          (817)860-8213         (817)860-8116

ATTENTION: You are reading material prepared by The Readiness
Operation for subscribers to its electronic newsletter: the TRO
Daily Report.  You may distribute this material on a BBS, LAN,
WAN or other electronic or print distribution mechanism as long
as you retain this notice.  Thanks for cooperating to help
ensure this service continues.
The Readiness Operation, Inc & its sister corporation SupportNet
Inc offer a full spectrum of Information Services.  We are an
Internet Service Provider and 3rd Generation Web Site Developer.
We are business oriented and pride ourselves on developing
practical and cost-efficient business solutions not just Web
sites.  We offer friendly and personal service.  We will host
your Web site on our secure Web server, host your server at our
site (the most economical way to get on a T1 leased line), and
provide listserver, Web conferencing, Web chat services,
database to Web applications (this newsletter is put together
from a database and sent out from a Web page), dialup access,
and consulting on marketing on the Web.  Our Web sites are at
http://www.trobb.com and http://www.support.net
Call Paul Smith for more information at (510) 547-0594, Fax to
(510) 547-0920, or email Paul at paul.smith@sag.support.net
Snail mail: 3871 Piedmont Avenue, Oakland, CA 94611-5351